Monday 2 January 2012

The "Popover dress"


I was given 100 dresses for Christmas and fell instantly in love with this dress, the "Popover dress" by the American designer Claire McCardell from 1942.



I love clothes that are both practical and beautiful and this one is a perfect example. I'm not sure if it is in cotton or linen- I have found it credited to both fabrics, but I'm apt to think that it was made in cotton, as the Metropolitan website says. It looks very stylish with its buttons and top-stitched details, but also very comfortable and truly something you can wear around the house without being afraid to open the door.



I don't think the pattern is too complicated either. I'm lazy so I rarely draft patterns by myself, but I do know how to do it and I think I will have a go and try to re-create this one.





I think you should pop over to the Metropolitan Museum website and fo a seach for Claire McCardell. I think she had a wonderful knack for everyday clothes that looked great too. She seems to have had a penchant for wraparpund dresses, even if I like the "Popover" the best.





(Picture sources: http://www.metmuseum.org/)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vad kul att se! Jag har sett nästan identiska klänningsmönster på Etsy och eBay (fast med omlotten fäst med bälte istället för knappar), inklusive grytvantesmönster och fäste, och samma stora ärmar... men jag har aldrig riktigt fått någon känsla för hur de skulle se ut i verkligheten.

Isis said...

Emma: Åh, det har jag missat- ska hålla lite utkik. Bälte eller band är väl lättare än knappar om man syr hemma... :)

Nancy said...

Happy New Year! I just found your blog and I'm really enjoying it. I began a blog yesterday using my mother's diary -- beginning January 1, 1941 as the center theme and daily entry. I'm thrilled to find so many other people with an interest in the '40's. I look forward to reading more here in the future.

monika said...

Med bälte blir den ju lite justerbar också. Jättesnygg klänning, lite omväxling med det relativt sobra tyget. Jag har mest sett hemmaklänningar i väldigt gulliga tyger (vilket jag iofs också gillar).

Jemima said...

Wow both of those dresses are just darling!

Isis said...

Nancy: That sounds so interesting! I look forward to read it!

monika: Det är sant, det är det ju. :) Ja, jag håller med- gbåda sorterna är fins.

Lady Cherry: Aren't they! :)

Unknown said...

wow I love all three!! I really need to learn how to sew this year!

Maxine (Lily)xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...