Friday 11 February 2011

Year one and two

EDITED
I have realized that as the first year of this wardrobe building consists nearly the twice amount of clothes, I don't have the time to finish it all in one year. So I have decided to make my project run for five years instead, splitting the first year into two.


It struck me as a bit unfair that I know what the four-year plan will yield and not you, it isn't like the book I take it from is accessible for you all. Especially if someone feel tempted to join in. So I'll make four posts with all the eight seasons and then put a "sticky" on them so they will be easy to find.

You may notice that the lists looks a bit odd at times, and I'm not sure what it means when a similar garment are already on the "what you have"-list and the "what to get"-list. Or the notes just repeats what has already been said. The cut of the clothes are sometimes suggested, but it is the colours and materials that are the most important. It is also clear that the suggestions are based on a rainy Swedish autumn followed by a cold winter and then a rather warm summer.

YEAR ONE
Autumn/winter

Dresses and blouses
Grey wool shirt dress
Simple, long evening gown in black heavy canton crepe. I made a little switch here and will make the black evening gown later, here is the blue one instead.

Housecoat with a belt in thin cotton

Black wool dress

Coats and suits
Coat in grey lamb fur
Brown sport suit in three pieces, jacket, trousers and skirt.

Red Sweater

White sweater, adapted to be a stone-coloured one.

Raincoat in a "natural" colour.

Shoes
Heavy boots
Brown sport shoes
Black walking shoes
Black evening shoes
Rubber boots

Hats
Grey beret
Brown felt hat, well, I made a hat out of fake suede instead.


Accessories
Brown bag in reptile skin
Black bag in suede
Brown knitted gloves
Homemade knitted mittens

Notes
1. Every colour is beautiful with a grey fur coat.
2. The grey shirt dress should be tone in tone with the fur coat and with grey buttons. Then it will look great with brown accessories
3. The sport suit should be made in water-proofed gabardine.
4. A black simple evening gown is suitable for most occasions.
5. All the green things should match each other.
6. A tweed overcoat is practical all year round.

Spring/summer

Dresses and blouses
Black wool dress with short sleeves. Not a wool dress, but a cotton one, in my case, from Heyday.


Brown dress in silk noil, in three pieces. Here are just the shirt and the skirt:

Dress in artificial silk, patterned with small flowers
White washable shirt dress


Coats and suits
Grey/brown tweed overcoat. I couldn't found any born/grey tweed I liked so I bought a grey wool coat instead.

Grey suit in flannel
Raincoat in "natural" colour

Shoes
Black pumps
Clogs
White fabric shoes

Hats
Grey beret

Black beret
White beret


Accessories
Brown bag in reptile skin
Black bag in suede
A bag in "vindtyg" (My English fails me here. "Vindtyg" is a fabric that is wind proofed, does that makes sense?)
White "laundry" gloves

Notes
1. A white washable dress is always pretty in the summer.
2. The brown silk noil dress consists of a skirt, a blouse and a jacket.
3. For summer an evening gown in a patterned fabric is the best.
4. A sandy colour is a good neutral for a coat and can be used with black dress and beret or brown dress and beret.
5. The sundress in white and yellow should be be finished with white details. With shorts and bolero it will be suitable both for the beach and for bicycling.
6. The green silk noil blouse will look good with the brown shantung skirt and jacket.

YEAR TWO
Autumn/winter

Dresses and blouses
Nice black dress in wool

Coats and suits
Grey/brown overcoat in tweed. I couldn't found any born/grey tweed I liked so I bought a grey wool coat instead.

Shoes
Black pumps
Green shoes

Hats
Black beret, made from the same fabric as the black dress
Green hat in felt


Accessories
Belt, scarf and clip in green

Notes
1. A tailored black wool dress should always be in your wardrobe.

Spring/summer

Dresses and blouses
Green blouse in silk noil (the same colour as the green winter hat)
Yellow and white sundress with a jacket, shorts and blouse
An evening gown in a dotted fabric

Coats and suits
Sand coloured coat

Shoes
Brown walking boots
Yellow sandals in leather

Hats
Sand coloured felt hat
Remodel the green felt hat

Accessories
Bag in the same fabric as the coat
Brown gloves

Notes
1. For summer an evening gown in a patterned fabric is the best.
2. A sand colour is a good neutral for a coat and can be used with black dress and beret or brown dress and beret.
3. The sundress in white and yellow should be be finished with white details. With shorts and bolero it will be suitable both for the beach and for bicycling.
4. The green silk noil blouse will look good with the brown shantung skirt and jacket.

6 comments:

Spinneretta said...

vindtyg- perhaps vinyl?

Isis said...

No, not vinyl. "Vindtyg" is not really waterproofed,but prepeared so it withstand wind and breezes. Vinyl is actually vinyl in Swedish too. :)

Social Historian said...

This post has solved a question for me. I bought some yellow gingham last year because I really wanted some clothing in it but couldn't decide what. Now I know - a summer dress with shorts and bolero and white details! Thank you for the inspiration!

Isis said...

Molyy: I have been thinking of doing it in seersucker as well. :) Or possibly white/yellow checkred fabric. I haven't had yellow clothes since I was a kid, so it feels like a challenge. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your list. Lists make everything happen (at least for me.)

Isis said...

3hourspast: I agree- lists are great! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...