Monday 28 March 2011

My book shelves


I love books and I find lending books unsatisfactory- I want to own them. Here are the books I have that has to do with the 1940’s and which I often look through for inspiration and advice. I am sure that most of these books are well known to you, but perhaps you can find a nugget. And I would be happy to get tips on other useful books.


Alla kvinnors bok In Swedish. I guess you all know about this book by now, as this blog would exist if it wasn’t for it. Gives advice on just about everything from fashion and beauty, to proper behavior, home decorating, marriage and child rearing. Printed in 1944.

Emma Brennan, Making Vintage Bags 20 patterns for handbags from the 1920’s to the 1950’s. Cute patterns and the ones I have tried have been very easy to make.

Mike Brown, The 1940’s Look A very useful book, written for re-enactors, both for men and women. It goes through fashion, accessories, hair and make-up in Britain, mainly during the war. Lots of pictures.

Fashion from The Kyoto Institute The forties is just a small part of this great book, but it is very much a must-have book for anyone interested in fashion history.

Vivan Huber, Skönhet In Swedish. Beauty book from 1946. Covers hygiene, exercise, make-up and hair.


Tony Lewenhaupt, Tidens tecken In Swedish. Lovely book that covers 1890-1990. Pictures of clothes are mixed with other types of design, which gives you a sense of how fashion doesn’t exists in a design vacuum.

Make Do and Mend from Ministry of Information Cute little book with tips and tricks for your wardrobe. First published in 1943.

JoAnne Oljan, Everyday Fashions of the Forties as Pictured in Sears Catalogs I love this book

John Peacock, Fashion Sketchbook, 1920-60 Black and white drawings of female fashions. I’m not altogether keen on Peacock’s drawings, but there are a lot of fashion details very clearly depicted.

Lauren Rennells, Vintage Hairstyling Wonderful book with easy to follow instructions for a number of hair do’s.

Claire B. Shaeffer, Couture Sewing Techniques Not a fashion book, as the title imply. I love this book and go back to it again and again for advice on sewing problems.

Jonathan Walford, Forties Fashion: From Siren Suits to the New Look I only got this book last week and haven’t had time for more than a look through. My first impression is excellent, though.

Collette Wolff, The Art of Manipulating Fabric Not a fashion book either, but instructions on how to do any tuck, pleat, gather or dart one could possibly need. I find it very useful as well as inspirational.

6 comments:

Living Vintage said...

You make me wish I knew swedish for some of those books. Some great recommendations my wish list at amazon just got bigger.

Isis said...

Alas, that list is ever growing for me!

Yes, it's a pity that they can't be found in English.

Ana said...

What a great list of resource books!I love reading fiction set in the 40s too. Do you?

Isis said...

Ana: I'm glad you think so! Yes, I do- I just finished Barbara Vine's A Dark Adapted Eye that is set during WWII. :)

Debbie @ VintageDancer.com said...

I just ran across your blog and I am very surprised I didn't find you sooner. If you don't mind I will add a link to your blog from my book - The 1940's Style Guide

I look forward to reading all your posts.

Isis said...

Debbie: I don't mind at all- I feel flattered. Also a bit funny as I purchased your book only today. I haven't been able to download it, though- probably because of my computer. I'm going to try it on my darling's tomorrow. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...