Tuesday 8 March 2011

Felt flower tutorial

I was asked how I did my felt flowers, so here is a little tutorial. It is very easy, you just need scraps of felt, needle and thread, a few pearls and something to mount the flowers on. Paper and pen are practical too.


I started out drawing a tear shape on paper and cut it out to use as a pattern for the petals. The shape can vary, round, oval or heart shaped for example. I made five petals, but you can have more- if your felt is on the thinner side, then perhaps you have to, to fill up the flower.

Then I pinched the petal at the rounded end so it folded in the middle and stuck the needle through, perhaps 3 mm from the end.
Photobucket

String the rest of the petals after the first.
Photobucket

Now comes the trickiest part. Put the needle through the first petal again and pull tight, so the petals form a circle. Do it slowly and arrange the petals to your liking as you go. When you have got the shape right, then go through all the petals one or two times to make the flower more stable and secure the thread. Done!
Photobucket

I made a second flower, as you can see, made of completely round petals. For a finishing touch, sew a pearl or two or more in the middle. Or glue a small circle of contrasting felt there. If you want to mount the flower on a pin or clip, then I think it is a good idea to stitch it to a felt circle first, for stability. I mounted my flowers on clips, which I found in the jewelry-making section of a hobby store. If possible, try to get clips with small holes so you can sew the flowers to it, though I suppose that it would be possible to use glue as well.

I hope you found this helpful and not too obscure! If you make a flower, I'd love to see the result!

4 comments:

Rowenna said...

Adorable! I recall seeing a lot of the pointed-petal variety in vintage Christmas decorations.

Isis said...

Thank you! Yes, I imagine that red ones would be very suitable for Christmas. :)

Chelsea said...

Thank you so very much for posting your tutorial, Isis! I am nearly ready to start making the flowers and the V7464 hat. Have you started your hat? I'm wondering if velvet would work for it, or if I should just stick with felt.

I finished my 1940s dress mockup (http://tinyurl.com/3g3qyvq) and am almost ready to start the real thing! :-)

Isis said...

Chelsea: I'm glad you like it! I have started on the hat, but it is a bit of a nightmare to construct and I'm currently a bit stuck. It really are the worst sewing description ever! I think velvet may be too soft, for it, but perhaps if you interline it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...