Monday 28 May 2012

Max Raabe


Ever listened to Max Raabe and his Palast Orchester? A workmate introduced him to me recently and his singing gives me the giggles. Raabe is a German singer and the style is 20’s and 30’s band music, regardless of what he sings- covers of old songs, original music or covers on modern hits. Listening to him makes it very easy to imagine the music coming from an old gramophone. He looks the part too, don’t you think? He reminds me a bit of Fred Astaire, actually.


Singin’ In the Rain, 1928.


Singing Brittney Spears.


Dream A Little Dream from 1931




(Picture source: http://www.orsymphony.org/newsroom/artists_0910/raabe.aspx)

10 comments:

Anthea said...

THis is amazing, thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Honom hade jag helt missat - jättekul att höra! :)

Katrin said...

Max Raabe is great. Not only as a musician, but also as an entertainer. He makes little jokes during his concerts and you always have to listen carefully, or you might miss them :) I have to say though that I like him most when he´s singing the classics.

Mrs J said...

Never heard of him before, but I certainly liked him!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! We saw him at Berwaldhallen last fall, he and the Palast Orchester are fantastic live as well; extremely good musicians, and it was all delivered with a tremendous amount of charm and humour. Well worth rather expensive concert tickets.

Isis said...

Anthea, Emma and MrsJ: Glad I could spread the word, then. :)

Ktrin & pimpinett: I don't understand how I have managed to miss him before as it is very much up my alley. And now I'm miffed I missed him last fall!

That 50s Girl said...

I narrowly missed a concert by him a few months back! Would have loved to have seen him but couldn't make it. He is rather dashing too if I do say so...! Got to love that slicked-back hair and a suit!

Isis said...

That 50s Girl: How annoying! Yes, he looks quite dashing in a slightly nerdy way. :)

M-M said...

Yes! I saw him on tv once and he sings gorgeously. He has a very authentic style and a wonderfully sweet voice. It's great to know others are noticing him too! Thanks for posting this!

Isis said...

Retro Therapy Vintage Fashion: You are very welcome! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...