Sunday 7 August 2011

Yellow and white skirt

I’m back from my vacation and a very good vacation it was. I have spent a lot of time in my family’s summerhouse, swum in the sea, spent time with family and friends, hosted a cocktail party and generally had a good time. I have sewn a little too, but not as much as I had hoped. I did finish my green hat after much gnashing of my teeth and have started on a brown felt hat and I have made a white washable dress. I also renovated my grandmother’s skirt that I mentioned in an earlier post.




The original dress was made in 1949 so the skirt is very much a product of the New Look. I realize that I have never talked much about the period I will set my wardrobe in, but perhaps you have noticed that I lean toward the early forties. I do really love the New Look-look too, but felt that the earlier period suited better. So this is an unusually late style for this blog, but not for my look in general. I wear a lot of fifties clothes too.



I didn’t have any extra fabric for a new lining and also felt that I didn’t want to sew more than I could get away with on the skirt, so after some thinking I just folded down the top and made a channel for a drawstring. This means that the skirt looks best with a belt, but I can live with that- it’s not a skirt I will use for everyday wear anyway. The fabric is printed cotton, yellow and white checkers on the diagonal. It’s rather faded, the yellow is much stronger in the seam allowances.

Detail picture on one of the two pockets.



Detail of the ruffle.

7 comments:

Debi said...

welcome back! Sounds like you had a great vacation! The 40's skirt is amazing...love the ruffle and pocket detail!

Shelly said...

Welcome home! Sounds like your vacation was very relaxing doing all those fun things. Love the pocket detail on your 40's skirt.

Kate said...

Nice to have you back! I really like those pockets, and the pattern on the skirt - it's so summery :)

Wendy Bayford said...

Glad you had a lovely holiday! You look amazing in your Grandmas Skirt, its soo pretty!

Casey Maura said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely vacation! :) The skirt is beautiful--I especially love the ruffle!

Mary said...

Happy to see that you had a wonderful vacation! It must be so special to be able to wear your grandmother's skirt, it's such a unique way to connect to your own history!

Isis said...

Thank you for the welcome backs! It's good to be back. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...