The Historical Sew Fortnightly 2014 and this is the first challenge I have completed.
I'm participating in
The Challenge: #3 Pink
Fabric: Pink and rust wool
Pattern: The Three Hour Beret, a reproduction pattern from New Vintage Lady
Year: Early 1940’s.
Notions: Sewing thread
black cotton poplin for interlining.
How historically accurate
is it? Very much so, the pattern is a reproduction of an original 40’s pattern
and though I deviated a little from the instructions, I am sure that people did
that in the 40äs as well.
Hours to complete: I
didn’t keep track of time as I did it in snatches, but I would say around three
First worn: For these photos.
Total cost: No idea. The
wool was a scrap of several yards I bought extremely cheap a couple of years
ago, the notions were also already n the house.
I have wanted to do this beret for some time and as I’m
also making a reversible coat with the pink/rust tartan, I thought a matching
beret would look nice with it. The pattern was a little quirky and it was great
fun to sew it. Unfortunately when padded and worn straight it looked absolutely
awful on me. So I removed the padding and tilted it instead and it looked much
better, if not exactly as intended. For another face shape I am sure it will
look smashing as it was intended.
Here are a few versions made by New Vintage Lady.
I also realize how long it is since I posted any
pictures of me, because I cut off my hair in November and these are these are
the very first photos of it. I am vastly pleased with it and will keep it short
for a while. I’m due to a new haircut soon, though.