Friday, 14 February 2014

A new beret

The Historical Sew Fortnightly 2014 and this is the first challenge I have completed.
I'm participating in

The Challenge: #3 Pink

Fabric: Pink and rust wool tartan.

Pattern: The Three Hour Beret, a reproduction pattern from New Vintage Lady

Year: Early 1940’s.

Notions: Sewing thread and some black cotton poplin for interlining.

How historically accurate is it? Very much so, the pattern is a reproduction of an original 40’s pattern and though I deviated a little from the instructions, I am sure that people did that in the 40äs as well.

Hours to complete: I didn’t keep track of time as I did it in snatches, but I would say around three hours.

First worn: For these photos.

Total cost: No idea. The wool was a scrap of several yards I bought extremely cheap a couple of years ago, the notions were also already n the house.

I have wanted to do this beret for some time and as I’m also making a reversible coat with the pink/rust tartan, I thought a matching beret would look nice with it. The pattern was a little quirky and it was great fun to sew it. Unfortunately when padded and worn straight it looked absolutely awful on me. So I removed the padding and tilted it instead and it looked much better, if not exactly as intended. For another face shape I am sure it will look smashing as it was intended.

Here are a few versions made by New Vintage Lady.

I also realize how long it is since I posted any pictures of me, because I cut off my hair in November and these are these are the very first photos of it. I am vastly pleased with it and will keep it short for a while. I’m due to a new haircut soon, though.

4 comments:

wardrobeexperience said...

wow, well done. this hat looks great. i love the brown plaid.

Isis said...

wardrobeexperince: Thank you! :)

Second Hand Rose said...

I love your beret! It looks so good on you and I love the fabric, it's a beautiful look. XxxX http:thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

Isis said...

Second Hand Rose: Thank you! I love the fabrci as well. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...