Monday 6 August 2012

A review of #4002 1944 Housedress, Decades of Style

Hello all! My vacation is over and a very nice time was had indeed. But now I’m back and hopefully there will a bit more action on this blog as well. One of my goals this summer, and something I will continue with, is to try to put an end to this terrible back log of sewing projects I have. To just work on one project at the time is not a good idea for me, I get bored and then I do nothing at all. So I have given myself the rule of finishing two dormant projects before I start anything new. I finished the green housedress that I will review some sentences down and I’m almost finished with an 18th century jacket I started a couple of years ago and when I need a pause from that I’m working on a 40’s raincoat with checkered lining. When the pink jacket is done I think I will finish the white washable dress that is at the annoying point of just needing a hem, buttons and buttonholes…

The housedress from Decades of Style was actually the very first garment I cut out for my wardrobe project. Then I got annoyed over something. Nothing important obviously, as I can’t remember what is was, but I didn’t touch it again until this summer.


The pattern
The pattern is a reproduction pattern from 1944. I actually ran across the original pattern at one point and the original had another sleeves option. This pattern however only contains the short wide sleeves. It has a princess cut, a square necklines, buttons down the front and diamond shapes pockets. It comes in nine sizes.

The layout was very clear and it was easy to cut out and sew. I was a bit apprehensive as a princess cut rarely works for my figure, but there is an extra bust dart that helps to shape that area, so it worked out surprisingly well.



My adaptions
I did several. I omitted the ric-rac braid and I also changed the shape on the pockets. I kept the square necklines, but I didn’t finished the same way as the pattern suggested. One thing I noticed when I finally started on the project again was that I had added some girth since I cut it out. It simply wouldn’t work to overlap the fronts for a button closure. I was thinking of putting in a zipper, but then I realized that the dress was actually wide enough to pull over my head. Having recently purchased to authentic 40’s housedresses that both are pulled over the head, I didn’t feel that that was too much cheating. However, if I ever need it, it’s easy to open the front seam and put in buttons.

Slightly wrinkly after a very hot day.


I made it out of fine cotton and it turned out to be a very light and comfortable summer dress for hot days. Nothing fancy, but perfectly wearable outside your home. I have some fabric left, so I think I will make a belt to give the dress a bit more shape. In retrospect I ought to have fiddled a bit more with the fit around the bust as it looks slightly wonky there. However, I really liked working with this pattern and I think it ought to be fairly easy to make sleeve and neckline variation.

7 comments:

Rowenna said...

Very cute! I love the fabric--green is a lovely color on you!

Debbie @ VintageDancer.com said...

Yes great fabric choice for you. Love the pattern too. Those pockets are adorable.

Donna said...

It's very pretty! I have a similar figure and so far have avoided princess cut patterns, but after seeing how nice you look in your dress, I may seek one out.

Sewingadicta said...

This dress sits beautifully on you! I love everything in it, color, princess seams and vintage look ... but I must add that I'm a little jealous of you .... you have so many projects at once ... Wow! I want to be as prolific as you!

Isis said...

You are all so sweet! Thank you for your nice comments! But Rosy, I'm not so prolific- I have too many projects going on a the same time and seem to start more than I finish. Well, now when I make myself to finish two of them before strating on a new one- hopefully we will see more dones dresses soon!

Second Hand Rose said...

Thanks for the great review, yours look gorgeous! I've always thought about making one of these! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

Isis said...

Second Hand Rose: Thank you! They are very nice for hot days! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...