Sunday, 10 June 2012

Reader, I married him

The quote is from Jane Eyre, one of my favourite books, and it is very fitting for today’s post. In case you have noticed my absence, I can now tell you that it was because I got married on Saturday.






J and I have been planning it for a while, though we kept it a secret. As both of us have been married before we decided early on that we were just going to have a civil ceremony and not have a big party, just invite our closest family for dinner. A month ago J noticed that Skansen was going to have drop-in weddings on June 9 and wouldn’t I just love getting married on Skansen? Yes, I would.





Skansen, for those not familiar with it, is an out of doors museum in Stockholm. Partly it’s an exhibition of houses from all over Sweden, ranging from the 16th to the mid-20th century. The actual real houses that has been moved from their original place. It is also a zoo for Scandinavian animals like bear, moose and lynx. It’s very popular and a lot of people get married in Seglora church.



We didn’t, though, as I said we had a civil ceremony that took place more or less out of doors. My sister, her husband and my son went with us. As my sister doesn’t live in Stockholm we did tell them about our plans and asked them to come along as witnesses to make sure that they would come. My son was told in the morning when I woke him up and being 13 his only comment was. “Will I have to come on a wedding? How embarrassing!! Kisses are so gross, you know.



It rained when we started out, but it stopped in good time before the ceremony. We had a cup of coffee before out turn and after we went home again to prepare for dinner. We managed to get all of our families to come, apart from one of J’s nieces who lives in Australia, so with parents, sisters, brothers, step-daughter, nieces and significant theirs we were seventeen. J’s sister had managed to suss it all out and wasn’t surprised, but my family was. Everyone seemed very happy for us, though.

And we are very happy.



I did think of making my own dress, but in the end I wore a dress from Heyday. The shoes are from Miss L Fire and the green is very much on purpose. My grandmother got married in a green dress and so did my Mum, so my shoes are my humble tribute to them. And they match J’s tie too. The stockings don’t show up much, but they are the same stockings my Mum wore at my parents’ wedding in 1969. They are in off-white net with small dots- very cute. The flowers are two combs with white roses from Belle Blossoms.





It was a very low-key wedding, but it was just as we planned it and we couldn’t have been happier with how things turned up.

30 comments:

superheidi said...

Wooohoooo, what a surprise! Congrats, and what a dapper man you have. :-) You look quite daring and gorgeous in black.

Popbabe7 said...

Congratulations, all the best to you in your new married life! xx

Wire 9 Vintage said...

How exciting! Many, many congratulations to you both! It certainly looks like a very lovely and memorable day was had by all!

Fräulein.Perlon said...

Congratulations to you two :)

Emma said...

Grattis! Jättefina skor. Klänningen också. Jag har sett den på en del olika bloggar, men jag tycker absolut att den klär dig bäst. :)

Vårt bröllop var inte helt annorlunda. Vi åkte ut till en vacker sjö på dagen för vintersolståndet och hade en borglig vigsel med en fotograf och vigselförrättarens chaufför som vittnen. Sedan bjöd vi hem släkten på "mellandagskaffe", men serverade istället champagne och tårta inför ett kollage av bröllopsbilder.

Ange said...

Congratulations! Your Fleur daisy dress looks fab and I adore that you paid tribute to your Mum & Gran! xXx

Jane said...

Oh you look wonderful! The dress is so chic and the green shoes are the perfect touch. And your husband is quite a dish too! You both look very happy - big congratulations, I hope you have a long and happy marriage. xx

monika said...

Grattis! Det låter som ett jättetrevligt bröllop.

Wendy S said...

Oh, you look lovely, very happy - and what a surprise! Many congratulations! p.s. GREAT shoes too x

paisleyapron said...

Wishing you many many years of joy and bliss. You are such a handsome couple!

(OH....those shoes!)

Beth said...

CONGRATULATIONS and Best Wishes for your future happiness - what a fantastic surprise!

Wendy said...

What a wonderful thing to do! You both look stunning and so Happy Congratulations!! xx

Mim said...

Congratulations to you both! What a lovely place for a wedding.

Second Hand Rose said...

Congratulations and I wish you lots of years full of love, laughter and happiness! You look gorgeous too! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

snippa said...

Many congratulations.
It looks and sounds a fabulous wedding.

Mrs J said...

And they lived happily ever after! Massa grattis!

Bobbi said...

Congratulations!

Miss Betty said...

Grattis! :)

Laurence said...

CONGRATS!!!!!! Small weddings are always the best, you don't have to invite people that you don't like because you have too!!!!
Love the shoes.... (I have the same green ones!!!!)

Rachel Proffitt said...

CONGRATULATIONS :) I hope you have many, many, happy years ahead of you!

You both look very happy, and the outfit is lovely!

I had to smile at your son though LOL My own 12 year old has similar beliefs ;)

Rachel Proffitt said...

CONGRATULATIONS :) I hope you have many, many, happy years ahead of you!

You both look very happy, and the outfit is lovely!

I had to smile at your son though LOL My own 12 year old has similar beliefs ;)

Jessica Cangiano said...

How terrifically awesome! Countless happy congrats to your and your husband - may you have a life together that abounds with love, happiness, and countless reasons to smile.

♥ Jessica

casey said...

Congratulation! I love your outfit--so pretty especially with those green shoes!

Meg the Grand said...

Congratulations and best wishes!!!

Erika said...

Gratulerar! Vad fina ni var, och vilken härlig bröllopsdag!

Isis said...

Thank you, all of you, for your lovely congratulations and well wishes! It has made me very happy reading all of them!

Melissa Marsh said...

Congratulations! You look lovely and so very happy!

Isis said...

Melissa: Thank you!

Fifties Darling said...

Yay!!! Congrats! I got married 3 months ago now... very lok-key as well.... which makes everything more real and rememberable

Isis said...

Fifties Darling: Thank you! Congratulations to you too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...