Saturday, 12 May 2012

Hederlige Harrys

Yesterday we went to a very nice bar/party called Hederlige Harry (Honest Harry). We have never been there before but it takes place in an old cellar vault from time to time, in shape of a somewhat illegal bar somtime between the wars. Sweden never prohibited alcohol completely, but between 1917 and 1955 the Bratt system was in use. That meant that you were only allowed to buy a certain amount of liquors every month and that amount was based on income, sex and civil status. A married woman wasn't allowed one, for example, but an unmarried could, but she couldn't buy as much as a man. Another aspect was that even if you could buy alcohol in bars and restaurants it was surrounded by rules to make it more difficult.

Hederlige Harry's was great fun, even if I got a bit tired, being the first time did something since I got ill. We didn't know many there, but people were very nice and easy to talk with. There was also an adorable Irish wolfhound- she was so large that when she was behind the bar you got an impression of a dog bartender...

I had been warned that it usually was pretty cold there so I thought it was a good opportunity to wear my blue suit for the first time. I bought it a couple of months ago and was very pleased as finding suits that fits me and that I can afford isn't something that happens that often. It's a Swedish brand called TeDeWe and is really a very generic suit, but also clearly a 1940's one. It has the broad shoulders, a somehwat nipped in waist and is made of some kind of blend, I want to say wool/rayon in medium weight as it is warm, but not overly so. It is also in very good shape and doesn't seem to have been worn much. Naturally we forget to bring a camera, but we took a few pics when we got home.



I paired the suit with a knitted reproduction sweater from Rocket Originals and wool stockings and I wasn't cold at all. The shoes is a lucky find a few years back from La Redoute, of all places. I also raided my pile of detachable collars I inherited from my grandmother- I really need to iron and take pictures of those. The beret is the one I wrote about in my last post. I tried to aim for late 30's in style, which basically meant another hairtyle than I usually wear. I managed to pin it up and it stayed up. I worked yesterday before I went out and several workmates thought I had cut my hair short.



It just isn't possible to take pictures at our home without animals. When Adolf who modelled with me above, left, Eddie filled in.

6 comments:

Kate O said...

You have a cat called Adolf?!! Amazing. I'm all for reclaiming names and making good of them :)

Isis said...

Kate O: yes I have. :) Though I didn't name him.

Emma said...

Mycket stiligt! Jag gillar kombinationen. :)

Kate: The name Adolf doesn't carry quite the same Hitler connotations in Sweden as it does in the Anglophone world. We weren't in the war and it's a name that used to be very popular. It went out of fashion, but it did so along with lots of other names that were popular in the same era, like Fritiof, Hjalmar, August...

Isis said...

Emma: Tack!

Indeed. My grandparents had two or three friends with that name.

the nostalgist said...

hey isis,

welcome back! glad to hear you're on the mend. great lookin' suit and love those "retail therapy" pieces as well.

great to have you back!

~the nostalgist

thatsmyera.blogspot.com

Isis said...

the nostalgist: Thak you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...